CAT 2023 Preparation requires candidates to adopt a methodical approach that involves gaining a comprehensive understanding of the exam format, syllabus, and marking scheme. The exam consists of three sections – Verbal Ability and Reading Comprehension, Data Interpretation and Logical Reasoning, and Quantitative Ability, and comprises a total of 66 questions. The duration of the exam is 120 minutes. Each Section has been given 40 minutes.
In order to ensure complete coverage of all topics and sufficient time for practice and revision, candidates must create a study plan. They can also benefit from practicing with previous years’ question papers and mock tests, which can familiarize them with the exam pattern and types of questions asked in the exam.
- It is essential to note that there is negative marking for wrong answers in the CAT exam.
- Candidates receive +3 marks for every correct answer, while -1 mark is deducted for every incorrect answer.
- There is no negative marking for unanswered questions.
CAT 2023 Preparation Plan: Overview
A proper plan is crucial to crack the CAT exam, and it requires consistency, scheduling, and hard work. Rushing and sitting for hours without proper focus is not helpful. Starting with simple steps, building consistency, and gradually increasing study hours is essential.
As CAT 2023 is approaching, students have sufficient time to start their preparation. Beginning early is always advantageous as there is a lot of work to cover. The following tips can aid in CAT preparation:
- Start the day by reading the newspaper, latest news, and headlines.
- Choose a topic from the sections and aim to complete it within a day or two. Practice at least 30 questions on the topic.
- Seek guidance from seniors or mentors who have taken CAT, and create strategies based on their recommendations.
- Solve previous year’s question papers daily to get an idea of the questions asked in the exam.
- Mock tests will help manage time and identify strong and weak areas.
- Make short notes of the essential formulas of quant and revise them daily.
- Take frequent breaks and avoid social media distractions while studying.
- Focus on weaker areas and practice stronger topics.
- Revise all the topics learned as revision is crucial.
- Solve comprehension passages daily to enhance reading skills.
- Stay consistent and avoid taking days off.
- Do not start with random topics; work on scheduled topics in a systematic manner.
Remember, “Practice makes perfect,” and it is important to maintain concentration levels and time management while studying.
CAT 2023 Syllabus
The CAT 2023 exam is divided into three sections: Verbal Ability and Reading Comprehension, Data Interpretation and Logical Reasoning, and Quantitative Ability. The syllabus for each section is as follows:
|Verbal Ability and Reading Comprehension||Reading Comprehension, English Grammar, Foreign Words, Vocabulary, Sentence Completion, Error Spotting, One word substitution, Para Jumbles, Para Summary, Critical Reasoning, Antonyms- Synonyms, Fill in the Blanks|
|Data Interpretation and Logical Reasoning||Data Interpretation, Logical Reasoning, Tables, Data structures, Venn Diagrams, Seating Arrangements, Line Charts, Pie Charts, Bar Charts, Blood Relations, Coding and Decoding, Direction Sense, Assumptions, Family Tree|
|Quantitative Aptitude||Number System, Ratio and Proportion, Percentage, Logarithms, Profit and Loss, Time and Work, Time, Speed and Distance, Linear and Quadratic Equations, Functions, Inequalities, Progressions, Triangles, Circles, Polygons, Quadrilaterals, Coordinate Geometry, Mensuration, Trigonometry, Probability, Permutation and Combination|
Candidates should focus on covering and practicing all the topics listed in the table above to perform well in the CAT 2023 exam.
CAT 2023 Paper Pattern
CAT 2023 exam pattern is given below:
|Mode of Conduct||Computer-based|
|Sections||Verbal Ability and Reading Comprehension, Data Interpretation and Logical Reasoning, Quantitative Ability|
|Test Duration||120 Minutes|
|Total No. of Questions||66|
|Duration of each section of CAT||40 Minutes|
|Type of Questions||MCQs & Non-MCQs|
|Expected Marking Scheme||-1 for each wrong answer, +3 for every correct answer|
CAT 2023 Preparation: Do’s and Dont’s
Here are some do’s and don’ts for CAT 2023 preparation:
- Develop a study plan that covers all the topics and gives enough time for practice and revision.
- Start preparing early to avoid last-minute stress.
- Understand the exam pattern, syllabus, and scoring system.
- Solve previous year’s question papers and practice with mock tests to get familiar with the exam pattern and types of questions asked.
- Focus on your weaker areas and work on improving them.
- Take frequent breaks to avoid burnout and maintain concentration.
- Revise regularly to retain the concepts.
- Stay updated with the latest news and current affairs.
- Stay positive and motivated throughout the preparation.
- Don’t procrastinate and avoid last-minute cramming.
- Don’t waste time on unnecessary topics or concepts.
- Don’t rely solely on shortcuts or tricks to solve questions.
- Don’t compare your preparation or progress with others.
- Don’t neglect your health and sleep for the sake of preparation.
- Don’t get demotivated by setbacks or failures.
- Don’t take any unnecessary stress or pressure.
- Don’t get distracted by social media or other distractions during study hours.
- Don’t ignore the importance of mock tests and previous year’s papers.
How to Prepare for CAT 2023?
Preparing for CAT 2023 requires a systematic and well-structured approach that covers all the topics and gives enough time for practice and revision. Here is an overview of the CAT 2023 preparation plan:
- Gain a comprehensive understanding of the CAT 2023 exam pattern, syllabus, and marking scheme. This will help you create a targeted preparation plan.
- Create a study plan that covers all the topics, gives sufficient time for practice and revision, and helps you stay on track.
- Gather relevant study material such as textbooks, reference books, and online resources to aid your preparation.
- Build a strong foundation by focusing on the basics of all topics covered in the exam.
- Practice with mock tests and previous year question papers to get familiar with the exam pattern, types of questions asked, and to gauge your performance.
- Develop efficient time management skills by solving questions under a time constraint and practicing with timed mock tests.
- Analyze your performance in mock tests to identify areas of weakness and work on improving them.
- Seek guidance from mentors, teachers, or online communities to clear doubts, get expert advice, and stay motivated.
By following this comprehensive preparation plan, candidates can increase their chances of success in the CAT 2023 exam.
CAT Preparation 2023 Books
Here are some recommended CAT 2023 preparation books :
|VARC||How to Prepare for Verbal Ability and Reading Comprehension for CAT||Arun Sharma & Meenakshi Upadhyay|
|VARC||Verbal Ability and Reading Comprehension for CAT||Nishit K Sinha|
|VARC||Verbal Ability & Reading Comprehension||Ajay Singh|
|VARC||Word Power Made Easy||Norman Lewis|
|DILR||How to Prepare for Data Interpretation for CAT||Arun Sharma|
|DILR||Logical Reasoning and Data Interpretation for CAT||Nishit K Sinha|
|DILR||How to Prepare for Logical Reasoning for CAT||Arun Sharma|
|DILR||Data Interpretation & Data Sufficiency||Ananta Ashisha|
|QA||How to prepare for Quantitative for the CAT||Arun Sharma|
|QA||Quant study modules||Arun Sharma|
|QA||How to Prepare for Verbal Ability and Reading Comprehension for the CAT||Sharma and Upadhyay|
|QA||PSC for VA for CAT||Nishit Sinha|
CAT 2023 FAQs
Ques. When will CAT 2023 exam be conducted?
Ans. The official dates for CAT 2023 exam have not been announced yet. It is usually conducted in the months of November/December.
Ques. What is the duration of the CAT 2023 exam?
Ans. The duration of CAT 2023 exam is 120 minutes.
Ques. How many sections are there in the CAT 2023 exam?
Ans. CAT 2023 exam has three sections – Verbal Ability and Reading Comprehension, Data Interpretation and Logical Reasoning, and Quantitative Ability.
Ques. What is the scoring pattern for CAT 2023 exam?
Ans. For each correct answer, candidates will get three marks, and for each wrong answer, one mark will be deducted.
Ques. How to prepare for CAT 2023 exam?
Ans. To prepare for CAT 2023 exam, candidates must have a deep conceptual understanding of key topics, practice previous year papers, take mock tests, and develop an exam plan based on their skills and weaknesses. They must also be consistent, focused, and hardworking in their approach.
Ques. Which are the best books for CAT 2023 preparation?
Ans. Some of the popular books for CAT 2023 preparation are – How to Prepare for Quantitative Aptitude for CAT by Arun Sharma, How to Prepare for Verbal Ability and Reading Comprehension for CAT by Arun Sharma and Meenakshi Upadhyay, and Logical Reasoning and Data Interpretation for CAT by Nishit K Sinha.
Ques. How to manage time during the CAT 2023 exam?
Ans. To manage time during the CAT 2023 exam, candidates must prioritize their strengths and attempt those sections first. They should also avoid spending too much time on a single question and move on to the next one if they get stuck.